Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Michael problems


Michael qualified for state Early Childhood Intervention and is now seeing four different therapists (two private, two from ECI).  Still not talking.  His private speech therapist told me last week that she's never had anyone in therapy as long as him without learning to "turn on their voice," i.e. learning to vocalize his wants (not necessarily talk; grunting counts).  I've been leaving Michael alone at his sessions the last few weeks so I don't get to witness them anymore, but she told me she spent the whole hour trying to get him to say/grunt anything before she'd give him what he wanted, so they spent the whole hour doing pretty much nothing.  He'll point, he'll sign emphatically, but he won't speak.

He'll be 27 months old soon.  (Yes, I still count by months!)  He still nurses frequently, and let me tell you, it's a myth that lactational amenorrhea is a myth!  I haven't had a period in almost 3 years now.  This seems very harmonious if you believe, as I do, in the Weston A. Price foundation which states that traditional societies spaced children 3-4 years apart and that "[...] allowing at least three years between pregnancies permits the mother to recover her nutritional stores between children and to provide sufficient attention to each child..." (source).  So, in other words, traditional breastfeeding practices lend itself naturally to healthy child spacing.  God is pretty clever.

I love nursing him DURING THE DAY, but the nighttime nursing is getting incredibly difficult for me.  He got me up 4 times last night, and he always wants to lay ON TOP of me, which is not trivial when your "little baby" is now 30 pounds, so now I wake up every day with back pain.  He also sucks continuously, and as soon as I break the latch, he wakes up.  I am his "lovey."  And he's so big that, like I said, I can't comfortably nurse him continuously at night anymore.

So now I'm looking into night weaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment