Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Motor development progress, and grocery stores

Michael hasn't been too keen on solids the last few days, but we made a little progress today in his motor development.

Though not expertly performing yet, Michael managed for the first time to pick up a couple of beans and get them into his mouth (a black and a kidney -- not string/green).  I also spooned some yogurt onto his little spoons and handed it to him, and he properly took the handle and spooned it into his mouth a couple of times.  He seems to understand the concept of how a spoon works, even if he doesn't execute it correctly most of the time!  I've been trying to "help" him by guiding the spoon towards his mouth (though I don't put it in his mouth).  After doing that a few times, I stopped guiding the spoon and just handed it to him, and occasionally he got it right.

Although Michael has been rejecting most of the solids I've offered him, he has been getting into red stuff -- watermelon and cooked tomatoes.  He is a tomato fiend!  I sliced the little cherry tomatoes in half and lightly cooked them, and he sucks the juice and pulp.

I recently discovered that cast iron skillets are awesome for caramelizing onions so I've been making batches of caramelized onions and refrigerating them for toppings (they go on everything).  We have a little 6-inch skillet that is good for single servings and cornbread, and a big 14-inch skillet that I've started using for one-pot meals.  I really want to get a 9-inch skillet for pies and quiches, but it's an uncommon size.  I've been researching cast iron skillets and now I want an old Griswold or Wagner skillet, since they are machine-ground and have a beautiful, smooth surface.  I guess the ones from Erie, PA are the highest-quality.  It's hard to tell though what number corresponds closest to a standard 9-inch pie pan -- I think a number 7?  I've been checking eBay but hesitating to buy one without getting to look at it in person first.

Michael and I went to Sprouts today in my quest to fill the Trader Joe's void.  The super friendly sausage man gave me a free sample link of my choice of sausage when I told him it was my first trip to Sprouts.  I am excited about the sausages -- no nitrites/nitrates or preservatives or MSG, and freshly stuffed in the store, plus I could not find uncooked Andouille sausage anywhere in California.  I got some of that Andouille sausage (which I cooked tonight), sweet Italian sausage for Ben, and my sample link was some kind of cheesy Italian chicken sausage.  Texas definitely does meat better than California -- but not produce.

Sadly, my Andouille sausage had (human) hairs in it (not mine).  I ate it anyway.  :-(  In the battle between my OCD and my strong proclivity to not waste food, not wasting food won.

I also checked out Central Market over the weekend.  While both health-food stores had their perks, neither was an obvious place I could do all my shopping at, like I did at Trader Joe's.  TJ's had much, much cheaper staples (e.g. organic beans for half the price of Sprouts's) and even things I just can't find at these health-food stores (e.g. a good selection of frozen, organic veggies; no-frills tortillas and bread; organic, whole milk plain yogurt).  Plus I rarely found any objectionable ingredients in anything at TJ's (and never any trans fats), but I really have to vet out the products here more carefully because lots of items have preservatives, trans fats, nitrates, and other yucky stuff.  :-(

Still more natural foods stores to check out!  I haven't yet been to the flagship Whole Foods yet.  I suspect WF will be the closest thing to fill my TJ's niche, just more expensive.  There are also some natural foods places called Sunflower and Wheatsville that are worth a shot.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to Texas Los Schmids!
    We are happy that you and Michael and Ben
    have moved much closer. I am enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Trish! Looking forward to seeing more of you and the rest of the clan of Schmid/Smith friends since we are so much closer now!

    ReplyDelete