Sunday, May 22, 2011

Michael at Church

Ben and I are lectors at the 7 a.m. mass at our church.  Normally we sit in the cry room, unless we have to read.  Last week was our turn to read, so we sat with the crowd.  I took Michael to the back of the church and outside for a good chunk of the service after we read, but we were sitting with Ben after Communion and Michael was being quite vocal, squealing and screeching.  He wasn't crying, just enjoying the sound of his voice.

The priest who presided (who was also the same one that baptized Michael) thanked our "young family" after the announcements for our ministry, "including the baby" who was practicing to be a lector someday.

After mass, several people came up to us and told us that they love hearing babies in church and laughed that Michael's "practicing" to proclaim The Word.

Today, after mass, a woman approached us and exclaimed, "He's gotten so big!  I remember when he was still in there!" ** while pointing at my belly.  (We've been lectors for about 2 years now.)  Looking at Ben, she added "he looks just like you" then turns to me and, just for emphasis, "not so much like you."  I guess that's why Michael is so cute!  Ben assures me that Michael truly is mine, and that he didn't get me pregnant via another woman.

** edited to add:  actually, what she said was, "I knew him when he was still in there!"  Ben and I thought that was rather sweet and biblical ("Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you"), and we really like how the other parishioners feel a personal connection with us!

1 comment:

  1. That was very sweet of everyone to welcome Michael's vocal contributions. I know someone who during the homily has reminded parents of the cry room and nursery and then waits for the child to be relocated!!

    ReplyDelete