Monday, May 30, 2011

San Francisco

Since we decided to move to Austin, we've been making a "bucket list" of things to do while we were still in the Bay Area... and one of the things we'd been saying for years we ought to do was eat at The Stinking Rose in San Francisco.

God was on our side.  We scored free street parking in between the restaurant and Coit Tower!


We went all out for lunch -- ordered an appetizer of roasted garlic cloves to smear on some bread, and I had rabbit (not a cute bunny, but an ugly jackrabbit, I like to hope) while Ben had prime rib.  The prime rib was pretty rocking, while my rabbit was so-so, but hey, at least now I can say I've had rabbit.  Both were served with sides of mashed potatoes, while Ben gave me his creamed greens.

And then, the cout de grace... I did it.  I ordered the garlic ice cream.  Had to -- I'd regret not doing it when I had the chance, yanno?

Out came a massive bowl of ice cream three times as big as I was expecting.  I ate the whole thing and had a massive stomachache the rest of the day.  It was delicious and massive.  Have I mentioned yet how ... massive and rich it was?  I don't know if I was desensitized to it after Ben and I ate about 50 cloves of garlic between the two of us (we estimated), but I didn't taste the garlic.  Ben tried it and said it had a bit of garlicky aftertaste.  My heartburn overwhelmed most other sensations.  Ay carumba.  I didn't need to eat the rest of the day (although I ate Michael's dinner scraps -- some green beans, a carrot, and an apple).

The Stinking Rose in Little Italy
We walked around Little Italy and I ventured into a delicious-smelling deli, and then Ben and I walked past rows of restaurants wafting tempting aromas of all kinds of Italian fare.  I bemoaned how the best way I know how to experience a city is to taste the cuisine, which you can only do two, three times a day max (once if you eat the garlic ice cream at the Stinking Rose).

We serendipitously came across a shrine to Saint Francis of Assisi, so we had to go in!  I assumed there existed one in San Francisco, but was surprised it was just around the corner from the Stinking Rose.


Michael was asleep during the visit to his namesake's shrine, so Ben and I appreciated the beauty ourselves.

I lit a candle.  Yay
We then walked through Washington Square, admired the outside of Ss. Peter and Paul Church, which was closed (boo), and ventured up to Coit Tower.  With a stroller.  Up several flights of stairs.

The hills were steep!
We went into the tower, but not into the top.  We just wanted to admire the Communist murals and I debated whether or not to buy Michael a California bicycle plate with his name as a memento.  (Didn't.)  Then we walked around the perimeter and took photos so Michael would have proof he'd been here.

The Golden Gate Bridge in the background at Coit Tower

Michael in front of Berkeley (Campanile is visible towards the right)

TransAmerica building

Oakland Bay Bridge

This was Michael's longest outing, as far as Ben and I can recall!  He got several comments on his sunglasses again.  (One guy was like "A celebrity!  You can't hide!"  Although it's equally likely he was referring to my floppy hat, I suppose.)  Michael did pretty well, complaining a little at the restaurant but otherwise taking in the sights.

No comments:

Post a Comment